Printed Music Licence Ltd represents the rights of Music Publishers. On their behalf PMLL licence the photocopying of sheet music.


In April 2020 PMLL launched The Music Service Licence (MSL) which enables music hubs to make copies and arrangements legally, and for musicians, writers, and publishers to be paid fairly for the use their works. It helps music hubs and services make the best use of printed music resources whilst ensuring they are copyright compliant.


With the Music Service Licence, Lewisham Music staff will be able to:


  • Make copies or arrangements of entire works (or up to 10% of an anthology) which the music service or member of staff already owns

  • Use score-writing software programs to arrange print music

  • Make notations by hand on copies of print music

  • Make new arrangements to suit any instrumentation your service has available

  • Share print music


What does the licence cover

The Music Service Licence covers ‘area activities’ including small group vocal or instrumental music teaching and small and large ensembles, over and above the Collective Educational Provision of the schools or Local Authority area on whose behalf it is being provided.  Licensed Copies are permitted to be used in relation to performance events for which entrance fees or monetary collections are taken provided such fees or collections are used entirely as a contribution towards the running costs of the Music Service. It does not cover private individual or vocal or instrumental teaching or any other commercial activities.


Reporting usage each term

Lewisham Music or a member of staff must own at least one original copy of the sheet music and the copy must be for use in Lewisham Music activities. As part of the agreement, Lewisham Music must report on licence usage each term.


To ensure the right musicians are paid for their work each term we ask that tutors complete a few bits of information via the button below to record what has been copied. We’d be very grateful if you could submit the information as soon as you can once copies have been made.


Printed Music Licence reporting



We’ve compiled some important information relating to the licence below.


Schools Printed Music Licence (SPML)

This is a different licence to the Music Service Licence and any copies made for school activity must be reported to the school. Most schools in the UK are covered by SPML. The Schools Printed Music Licence is your licence to copy and arrange sheet music in school. It means you can photocopy sheet music for classes, ensembles, choirs, bands and individual lessons. As part of the agreement schools must regularly report on licence usage by providing data on the music that has been copied. For more information on SPML and to report data please click the button below.


SPML website